A lot of people love everything about traveling – the new sights, interesting cultures and people, new and exciting experiences – but if you haven’t yet caught the travel bug, did you know that travel is actually good for your health? Someone told me that and I thought it sounded a bit strange, because depending on where you travel (like the Amazon, for example) you’re probably safer at home in bed, right? But apparently, it’s true: there is actual scientific evidence that getting on a plane, train, boat or other vehicle and travelling to a new destination, especially one that’s near water, is good for you. Here’s what I found out:
- Travel keeps you fit. Even if you don’t step up your workouts prior to your beach vacation, you will likely be way more active once you get there than you would be sitting at your desk back home. When you go to a destination with incredible sights, such as anywhere in Europe, a guided tour of the Australian outback, or a wildlife lodge in the Costa Rican rainforest, of course you will be walking, hiking or biking a great deal to take it all in; but even if you stay on the resort, just walking in sand and splashing in the pool creates twice the resistance of, say, walking to the parking lot.
- Travel exposes you (physically) to different environments. Of course, before travelling, you should speak with your doctor to find out what types of vaccines may be indicated or what precautions to take; beyond that, going somewhere with a different food and water supply will naturally expose you to all sorts of new bacteria…and that’s a good thing. Exposure to new environments allows your body to adapt better and strengthens the immune system.
- Travel decreases stress. Obviously, all work and no play makes for a lot of stress, which in the long run actually hurts work performance and can lead to fatigue, illness, anxiety, depression, irritability, and all sorts of other nasty things. Having time away from the complexities of running a modern life can be invaluable: the rest, relaxation, rejuvenation and mental boost lasts far longer than the trip itself. If you don’t want the trip itself to stress you out, invest in a single piece of great luggage like the High Sierra Adventure Access Wheeled Backpack. It’s one of the best wheeled backpacks for travel because it’s lightweight and it holds everything, no stress.
- Travel makes you smarter. Even if you didn’t do a deep dive into Rosetta Stone recordings before leaving for your destination, your mind will be broadened automatically! You’ll meet new people everywhere, adapt to new situations, perhaps mingle with different cultures, learn to solve problems and increase your confidence. All these keep your mind sharp and tend to regulate emotions (after you have successfully been through minor crises like your new wheeled backpacks for travel being diverted by the airline, inevitable delays, and ordering the wrong thing off a foreign menu, the pile of work on your desk will seem like a breeze).
- Some destinations can heal you. Large bodies of water, mineral-rich hot springs, pastoral mountain views, and some of the earth’s natural sacred places like the Grand Canyon, Machu Pichu and the Egyptian pyramids are said to be truly transformative to the mind and body.
Whether you are travelling to live longer or just for the heck of it, we’ve got what you need to make your trip a success. What’s your favourite reason to travel? Leave a comment and let us know!